4 Bean Salad. There are lima, kidney, green and pinto beans, along with some crunchy celery, red pimento, and chopped pepper. A sweet vinaigrette is stirred in, and then all is chilled for a few hours to let the flavors mingle. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water.
In a large salad bowl, combine all of the beans, green pepper and onions. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients; stir until the sugar dissolves. Cover and refrigerate overnight, stirring several times. You can cook 4 Bean Salad using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of 4 Bean Salad
- Prepare 1 can of (14.5oz) cut green beans – drained and rinsed.
- It’s 1 can of (14.5oz) yellow wax beans – drained and rinsed.
- Prepare 1 can of (15oz) dark red kidney beans – drained and rinsed.
- Prepare 1 can of (15oz) garbanzo beans (chick peas) – drained and rinsed.
- It’s 1/2 cup of diced red onion.
- You need 1/4 cup of diced green bell pepper (optional).
- You need 1 cup of apple cider vinegar.
- You need 1 cup of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the white sugar, vinegar, and vegetable oil. Stir in the celery, green pepper, red onion and pimentos. Pour the green beans, wax beans, lima beans and kidney beans into a colander, and rinse under cold water. Also, for this super-simple four bean salad recipe, which takes just about four minutes to make.
4 Bean Salad step by step
- If you can, use low sodium unsalted beans. Open and dump all of your beans into a collander, rinse with cold lightly running water gently tossing to ensure you rinse off all the canned juices. This removes any "tinny" flavors. Allow to sit about 15 minutes to drain..
- Meanwhile dice your onions and bell peppers, and make your vinaigrette. In a large bowl whisk together vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper until sugar and salt are dissolved. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking continuously..
- Gently this the beans once more to shake off excess water still clinging on. Slowly pour beans into bowl of vinaigrette. Add onion and green pepper and gently stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. Overnight is best for the flavors to really meld, so this is a great "make ahead" dish!.
- To serve: Because "evoo" solidifies when cold, remove salad from fridge and let sit out about 30 minutes before serving. Give it another stir to redistribute vinaigrette, dish up and enjoy!.
A perfect side dish for a summer picnic! It's best when made a day or two before, so the onions have a chance to pickle a little bit in the vinegar, and all the flavors have some time. To make this cold bean salad recipe, simply drain and rinse the four kinds of beans before mixing them together with some thinly sliced onion and the pucker-inducing dressing. Add a colorful and delicious side dish to your meal with this salad. Super-tasty Four Bean Salad gives a starring role to nutty chick peas, black beans, cannellini, and plump pinto beans.