Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style. Great recipe for Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style. Quicker version of traditional red beans and rice. Classic Cajun dish traditionally served on Mondays.
Pick your favorite meat, such as pork sausages, and a ham hock for extra flavor, then cook with onion, green pepper, celery and garlic until fragrant and add red beans. This recipe is not like a traditional red beans and rice recipe. I was trying to find one and made this. You can have Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style using 12 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style
- Prepare 1 of Green Bell Pepper – diced.
- You need 3 (15.5 oz) cans of Red Beans (rinsed and drained). The cans should be labeled Red Beans (not kidney beans)… Sometimes smaller groceries won't carry this kind of canned bean. You can always substitute dry Red beans (prepped) and use broth instead of water.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic – minced.
- Prepare 3-4 stalks of celery – diced.
- You need 1 of onion – diced.
- Prepare 1 lb of Andouille Sausage.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of rubbed sage.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of cumin.
- You need 2 cup of water.
- You need 2 teaspoons of Hot sauce (Tabasco or similar) or to taste.
No tomatoes are in real red beans and rice. I live in Louisiana and these were not even close to how they are served down south. They tasted OK, but I was disappointed in the results. This Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice recipe takes a New Orlean's staple and adapts it wonderfully for the instant pot!
Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style instructions
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Dice up onion, bell pepper, and celery into bean-sized bits as indicated above.
- Brown andouille sausage over medium/high heat in a separate pan. Should be slightly browned and crispy when done.
- Sauté vegetables in olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic half about 5 minutes after beginning to sauté. Continue to sauté until the onions are translucent but not brown..
- Add water to sautéed vegetables..
- Add rinsed and drained red beans to the vegetables and broth.
- Add cumin, cayenne, and bayleaf to vegetable mixture.
- Bring bean/veggies to a simmer.
- After the beans come to a simmer, add a smidgen of water (2 tbsp) to the pan with the fried andouille. Then pour the browned andouille and the juice into to the beans..
- Place your pot of beans covered into the oven on 350F for 45 minutes. Consider starting the rice while this is in the oven.
- Begin cooking rice of your choosing (white and plain brown are tastey choices).
- Optional method to thicken the beans: 10-15 min before done cooking, scoop 1/2 cup of the broth into a cup. Add 1 tablespoon of corn starch, and dissolve in the liquid. Pour back into the pot and allow to cook remaining time..
- Serve over rice of your choosing.
Sausage, ham, vegetables, and seasonings combined with dry, uncooked beans cook all in one pot, making this an EASY and healthy instant pot recipe! I love adapting recipes for the instant pot! I've got dozens of easy instant pot recipes you can cook all in one pot, for dinner. Our Quick and Easy Red Beans and Rice recipe is comfort food to the max. It's creamy and gets lots of texture from the smoked sausage, beans, and bacon.