Red Beans and Rice. Transform Any Side Into a Main Dish Create a Family Favorite Tonight! The andouille is a MUST for this to be authentic, Jacob's world famous andouille ships and is worth it when you can't get it locally. The reason red beans and rice are normally featured in local dining estabishments on Monday is because Monday was clothes wash day.
In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Well, if you're from New Orleans, Mondays are Red Beans and Rice days. Every Monday, every kitchen in New Orleans and suburbia has a pot of beans cooking. You can cook Red Beans and Rice using 11 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Red Beans and Rice
- Prepare 2 cans of kidney beans.
- Prepare 1 can (6 oz) of tomato paste.
- You need 1/2 of onion.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic.
- It’s of Red Wine (1 can full).
- You need of Olive oil.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- You need 6 of servings Cooked rice.
- Prepare to taste of Cajun seasoning.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Thyme.
- Prepare 2 links of andouille sausage.
I have to say, I make one of the best dishes of RB&R ever! Its easy, and you don't need a lot of spices, You don't need to soak them, either. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, salt and pepper to the pot. Pour soaked beans and water into the pot and bring to a simmer.
Red Beans and Rice instructions
- Chop up onion and mince garlic then brown in skillet in olive oil..
- Drain two cans of kidney beans and pour into pot for cooking..
- Put tomato paste into pot with beans. Pour the red wine into the can and pour into the pot with beans and tomato paste..
- Stir up the beans, wine, tomato paste and then add the water..
- Stir the ingredients together well and add the browned onions and garlic. Add Cajun seasoning to taste. This is based upon your tolerance to spicy food. If you cannot find Cajun seasoning, add some Chipotle Tabasco sauce to taste..
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 10 or 15 mins until the beans get the consistency you prefer. I prefer a saucy consistency..
- Slice andouille sausage into thick slices and cook in skillet used for onions and garlic..
- Once sausage is cooked, add into the beans and sauce. Continue to simmer for another 5 mins..
- Cook rice..
- Serve by placing rice onto plate/bowl and then beans/sausage on top. Enjoy!.
Add black pepper, cayenne, salt and all herbs except parsley. Red beans and rice is a southern staple! These beans are even better than Popeye's. They are so creamy and flavorful, with the perfect Cajun spice! Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan.